2014 is going to be a brand new year on this blog! But I’ll tell you all about that later. Because first, I must give you the obligatory list of my favorite things of 2013 (along with some gifs for your amusement and joy).
Top 5 Books I Read (note, not the top 5 books of the year, because I like to read things way after they’re popular)
5. The Fault in Our Stars I stayed up way too late to finish this book and then ugly cried. So yeah, loved it!
4. A Girl Named Zippy Even though someone told me “You should read this book, she’s doing in her memoir what you’re trying to do” I didn’t hold it against the author. Really enjoyed this one
3. Gone Girl I waited a while to read this one, but really ended up enjoying it!
2. Miriam’s Kitchen It’s about food and religion and family and culture and so beautifully written.
1. To Kill a Mockingbird How in the world had I not already read this? I loved it so much and am wondering what other classics I’ve missed out on!
Top 5 TV Shows I Obsessively Watched on Netflix
5. The Walking Dead Yes, I hate scary movies. Yes I’ve made it through a season of this show. I’m a walking conundrum. But it says so much about human nature and protecting self and loved ones. But I can’t binge watch it. I learned that quickly!
4. Orange is the New Black Okay. So I wondered about putting this show on my list. It’s pretty risque. But I found it completely fascinating, and I think I watched the entire season in a two-week span while I was sick. I’m curious to see where they’ll go in season 2.
3. Parenthood I’m not really sure why I never watched this show, but I’m really enjoying the first season. Great characters, and an honest portrayal of family, in my opinion
2. 30 Rock I only watched this show sporadically the first few seasons, so it’s been fun binge watching it on Netflix
1. Scandal Oh this show slays me! So so good! And it was perfect to work out to because it gets my heart rate up. Literally.
5 3 Movies I Watched (um, apparently I don’t watch many movies)
3. Iron Man 3 What can I say, I’m a sucker for Robert Downey, Jr.!
2. Captain Phillips I went into this movie with no expectations, and walked out loving it! Such a fascinating movie, and the final scene had me in tears (and renewed my love for Tom Hanks!)
1. Saving Mr. Banks I really loved this movie! I just saw it this week, but it has so stuck with me. Loved the characters. Resonated with the idea of writing something and then being scared to let it go.
Top 5 Things I Cooked
5. Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Strawberry + Rhubarb + Orange = I can eat the whole pan
4. Turkey Pumpkin Chili I never actually posted a recipe for this (except maybe on Facebook?), but trust me, it was tasty
3. Roasted Strawberry Cake See #5
2. Triple Berry Lemon Cake This cake is summer, pure and simple. Sometimes I make it with frozen berries when it’s cold out just to pretend like it’s summer. It’s that good.
1. Brown Butter Soft Ginger Cookies Two people told me “These taste like Christmas!” That was enough to put them in the #1 position
Top 5 CDs I Listened To
5. What We Saw from the Cheap Seats, by Regina Spektor Regina Spektor is deliciously weird. Her CDs are always a mix of “Wow!” and “Huh?” for me, but even the off moments are so delightful. I especially liked Small Town Moon on this album.
4. Five Good Reasons to Meet Me, by Over The Rhine I was just introduced to this duo over the summer and really love their songwriting. Wonderful lyrics with lots of intensity. Good stuff
3. CMYK Project, by Justin McRoberts I was a fan of Justin McRoberts for a long time, and then he sort of slipped off my radar. But when he came and performed at my work a few weeks ago, I immediately purchased his latest project. Incredible stuff!
2. American Kid, by Patty Griffin I am never more happy than when a new Patty Griffin CD comes out :) That Kind of Lonely was one of my favorite tracks on this one.
1. The Civil Wars, by The Civil Wars I really really love this album. I know there was lots of drama, but man, some really good music. So glad I got to see them before they broke up. Favorite track is a tie between From This Valley and The One That Got Away.
Top 5 Places I Visited This Year
5. Virginia In January, had a sweet visit with my family that included road trips and laughter and my sweet niece’s face.
4. Emily Dickinson’s House While at a conference this summer, I was able to visit Emily Dickinson’s house on a free day. I stood in her bedroom and even sloshed through a cemetery to pay my respects at her grave-site. Highlight: Sneaking a picture of myself in her “no photos allowed” bedroom
3. Baltimore While Baltimore is a lovely city, it was more the occasion of my visit that made this one so special. Highlight: Graduating from Goucher College with my MFA! Oh, and head-banging in a bar with my lovely friend Beth to Bohemian Rhapsody.
2. Boston Traveled here for a conference, and as always had an amazing time. Boston is one of my favorite US cities–not least of all because of the food Highlight: Finding Dr. Quinn’s house (or her street at least )
1. Bolivia Was able to get my international travel fix for the year by traveling to Bolivia for the first time. Cochabamba was my favorite stop, such an amazing place! Highlight: The kids, of course. I love traveling for work and loving on adorable kiddos!
So what are your “top 5″ lists for the year?
You might be interested in this:
Copyright © brandy campbell [2013 in Lists and Gifs], All Right Reserved. 2014.